I really enjoyed this bus trip, it was only 4 hours long, and we got to sit at the back, so had a seat either side of us free. The road was long and winding, the scenery is stunning, Laos is such a beautiful country. I just sat at the back and listened to my ipod and watched the world go past the window. I could have sat on that bus for hours.
We arrived in Vang Vieng, such a strange little town. Built purely for the tourists, nothing cultural about this place at all! it's set out in like a grid, with bars and restaurants and guest houses making up about 90% of the businesses, there were some shops, and the occasional tour operator, but mainly just places to go and get drunk. Which is just what I wanted when you're on anti biotics.
I wondered what there was to this town before the tourism boom hit Laos, I bet there was maybe a mud track and a few houses, with fishermen and farmers making up the locals.
There was quite a lot to do here, the tubing I will get to later, there were caves to explore, you could go on a elephant ride, kayaking, swimming in crystal clear waters and waterfalls. we arranged the tubing for the next day, as i would be off the drugs by then and ready to start drinking again.
We had a bit of a walk around town, where ever you go, there's always this huge mountain looming over you, it's quite spectacular. We stopped off at a bar/restaurant for something to eat, I'd been warned off spicy food by the quacks in Cambodia so I was strictly on western food, not that I had much of an apatite anyway. All the bars in Vang Vieng have TVs and DVD players, and for some reason all bar two of them are showing a season of Friends, it's quite bizarre, what's more bizarre is the amount of people who sit around in there all day and watch episodes of a 10 year old mediocre sit com.
and now on to the people who frequent this town; As i've been traveling, and most other people will testify to this I think, one of the main principles that you live by is that at no point will you look your best. You're clothes will be dirty, and you maybe have gone a few days without washing your hair, and maybe haven't showered that day, everybody does it, and it's fine. Not here. It's like a get together from a Gap advert, horrendous. Everyone is about 19, with highlighted hair and immaculately tanned, and that's just the boys. Not my kind of place at all. Never has a Streets song seemed more appropriate. I spent about an hour in the internet Café chatting on Skype, and then went to bed, tomorrow was going to be really good fun, and I wanted to be on good form.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey dude - man it sounds like you are having the expereience of a lifetime - live it now process it when you get back - it's such a great feeling isn't it to have no 'real life' bullshit to contend with like bills and work. The hardest decision is what to do next and when. Glad you are feeling better mate - met up with Andy yet??
mate what's your skype name?
ours is markdebbiesibley
what's the time difference out there from the uk and i'll work out when is best to call and let you know
Post a Comment