Saturday, July 19, 2008

BEING AN IDIOT

It was a strange feeling not having anyone other blokes in the group but Matt, the Canadian girls were really nice and friendly though so it was ok. I got up at about 12, sorted out some insurance things and made a couple of phone calls.

It was Pam's 27th birthday today so we were all going out for a big one tonight, which meant, for me a day of relatively low activity and saving money.

Met up with Matt and he'd said that he'd been talking to the girls and they were going to be getting the over night bus tomorrow night to Kho tao, one island away from where the full moon party was. He said that he wanted to have a bit of beach time before the party and was going to go with them. My dilemma was that I had to stay in bangkok until the 16th until my mate Andy turned up. I used to live with Andy in London, and he'd been in Australia for the past 2 years, I'd seen him for about 3 days at new year, but was really looking forward to seeing him again. he was on his way home but was having a bit of a stop over in Thailand, and was coming to the full moon party with us. So I was going to be stranded in Bangkok on my own for 4 days, I didn't fancy this at all, its a great city, but anything more than about 3 days here seems too much, and I'd been here in total for about 7. So rather than stay I thought I'd do a little trip on my own, so i decided to get a cheap flight to Cambodia, I really liked it there and would much rather go back and see the things I didn't get a chance to see the first time, and maybe not get ill this time. Oh who am I kidding, I was going back to see a girl.

I had tried to arrange for her to come to Thailand but she couldn't make a visa in the time, as I had to leave on the 17th to make it down to the islands, so I thought I might as well jump on a plane and go and see her. I justified it to myself that although it was nothing serious and after this little trip we would probably never see each other again, when else would I get the chance to spend about 60 quid and spend 3 days with her. So I booked it up on the internet and would fly out the day after tomorrow. Yes I knew I was being an idiot, but SE Asia does strange things to otherwise rational human beings.

Matt and I were milling around in the lobby, the girls had gone off to get massages (Matt wasn't allowed to go because the company that did it said they were a family run business and only did girls, make of that what you will), and we had lost them momentarily, so we waited and then decided to just go out and maybe we'll bump into them later on down the road (that is to be taken literally, as you always bump into people on Khao San Road). I'd forgotten my malaria tablet for today, which was all the more important as I was going back to Cambodia, and headed back to the room. As I passed the desk in the lobby I saw a note covered in hearts and stars, the work of primary school teachers, Canadian ones at that. “Hello boys, come up to our room, we've got booze, pre birthday party!”, they knew us so well. So after a few quite strong vodka and sprite/red bull/iced tea, we headed out on the town for some buckets, which went straight to our already light heads, and we ended up in “The Club”, the place I was the other night. Sharon managed to pull a 22 year old Australian boy (he looked about 18), which for a 36 year old isn't bad going. we went to a few bars, an in between walking from one to the other I was left with sharon and the child. Nice. I had Matt's camera though so i was able to document the evening. I'm not sure if she should be allowed to be a teacher, certainly not in high school anyway, I've got a feeling I'll be reading a news story about her in a few years time. I suppose it'll make the next game of “I have never” more interesting.

No comments: