Wednesday, July 9, 2008

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS RAIN ON ME?


Oh dear lord I feel terrible. Really bad. I took some imodium thinking that it would help me out, which it did, but didn't stop the crippling stomach cramps or the nausea. And the fever was raging now. Mona had messaged me the other day to say she'd been to hospital because she felt that bad, which put the fear of god into me, there was no way I wanted to go to hospital in SE Asia, no way.

I managed to make it to the airline place so me and Matt could pick up our plane tickets to Vietaine in Laos, from Siem Reap. We were flying out at about 10 am on the 29th, it was the 27th today and we would get into Siem reap at about 1900, so we'd have tonight, tomorrow night in town and then off to the airport the next morning. Fine, or so I thought.

The bus was late leaving our guest house, but we got under way at about 1ish, not too late. The train was supposed to only take 6 hours and it was an airconditioned VIP bus, it had cost us $9 instead of the regular $6, well sometimes you have to treat yourself and OI thought the on board toilet was worth the extra $3 on it's own.

About 2 hours into the trip we stopped for a break. As we got off we were surrounded by children with bags of pineapple and old women with big bowls of cockroaches, crickets and spiders. Sadly I was off fried food or there would have been no stopping me. I was still in quite a lot of pain, I'd slept for most of the way so far, and the imodium was keeping everything in check, the air con was great on the bus, so as long as we stayed on time I could deal with the pain just about.

An hour later we broke down.

3 hours by the side of the road, feeling like this, no where to sit, I tried to sit back on the coach but as the aircon was out it was like an oven. At this point I wondered if I had been cursed. Now I'd been cursed by my teachers at school in the past but I think this was a little out of their league, I think. As we waited by the side of the road, a small group of locals were stood around watching us, if we hadn't been there, what exactly would they have been doing? Do they not have work to do or something?

The replacement bus turned up, the aircon was working and they even had a TV, magic, I could relax for the remaining 3 and a bit hours of the journey and watch a film or something. No of course not, they were showing back to back episodes of the worst Cambodian comedy there ever has been made. My chair didn't recline, so I basically sat there in agony for a few hours while all the Cambodians laughed at their equivalent of Hale and Pace.

We got to Earthwalkers, picked up my hard drive and checked into the room. There was no way I was going out tonight feeling like this. We sat around the lounge bar, it was nice to be back, but a bit strange that the others weren't around, but I suppose you oick up new groups of people to travel with quite easily, and just get on with it. We were chatting to two posh girls at the bar, they seemed nice enough, and we arranged to go out into town tomorrow night with them and whoever was up for it. I was really looking forward to one last night on pub street, feeding the crocodiles and having and outdoor beer at the X bar.

No comments: