Felt a bit better that I'd actually had a good night on the island, and that the trip hadn't been a waste of time. I think I would have had a better time if I'd been about 10 years younger, but at least I say that I've done it, left the t-shirt behind though.
Andy and Jared were going to head to Koh Tao, an island north of here, just for a bit of R&R, as Matt and I had to be in singapore by the 25th we didn't have enough time to go with them, and it was in the opposite direction, so we got a ferry back to the mainland where we would get a night train to Malaysia.
Said yet more goodbyes, I'll see Andy sometime, not sure where or when, maybe back at home, maybe in australia. I'm going to keep in touch with Jared in the hope that he makes it big as an actor and I can sponge off him in the future.
The Ferry was pretty unremarkable, we had a couple of beers and chatted to yet more Irish girls, they were on their way to Laos so we told them about tubing and what else to expect in Vang Vieng (mainly watching Friends, when the power is on that is).
We got to the station at Surit Thani at about 10, we couldn't book tickets all the way to Butterworth (in Malaysia) as the guy said it was fully booked, but we could get sleeper tickets to pretty much the border, after that the train would split and the front half would go off to Butterworth. The guy at the ticket office said that we should just get on and maybe the conductor would be able to help us out (for 'help us out' see 'pay him money')
The train arrived late at about 1.30am, there's only so many trips to the 7-11 you can do before you get thoroughly bored of it, and we just sat in the station for a couple of hours with the other white faces.
When we got on the train we explained the situation to the conductor, who wasn't taking our offer of a bribe to get us on the next train, but just told us to jump off and buy a ticket and jump back on. I had a nasty image of the train pulling away as I bought a useless ticket. Time for sleep, which I didn't get a lot of on a rickety rocking and rolling top bunk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment